Club History

The Carroll Kennel Club, Inc. was organized on June 23, 1958. Founding members included Mr. and Mrs. Charles Miller and Mr. Charles Schek.

The Carroll Kennel Club’s first AKC sanctioned all-breed dog show was held October 17, 1966 on the grounds of Reese Volunteer Fire department in Westminster, MD. In the early 1970’s the show was moved to the Carroll County Ag Center and a May show was added. Our 50th show was celebrated on May 22, 2006. From 2008-2013, our shows were held in January (a four day cluster held in conjunction with Annapolis Kennel Club) at the Howard County Fairgrounds in West Friendship, MD. In 2014 our January shows (“The Snowbird Cluster”) were returned to The Carroll County Ag Center and held in the Shipley Arena.

In 2013 the club held its first AKC sanctioned agility trials. Since that time we have sponsored a one day trial in April and a two day event each August. These trials are currently held in Frederick MD.

In addition to these major shows/trials our club has supported dog sports in a variety of ways over the years. These include, but are not limited to, obedience trials, rally matches, conformation matches, as well as training opportunities for obedience, agility, therapy work, canine first aide, and show handling.